Registered Psychiatric Nurses, Partnering with People
Guidelines for the Recognition of the Care of a Family Member
If you currently care for a family member, your hours may qualify towards your eligibility requirements to maintain your license.
Please note: This is on an exceptional basis only and must be applied for annually.
- The RPNAS may recognize four hours per day to a maximum of 240 hours per year.
- Requests for recognition of hours to care for a family member shall be reviewed by the Registration and Membership Committee annually.
- The registered psychiatric nurse must demonstrate that they will be maintaining professional liaison with other health care professionals.
- Submitted documentation must also include:
- demonstration of the need for ongoing professional RPN care
- documented plan of care
- indication that documentation of client care, including medication and procedures, and consultations will be maintained
- Two letters verifying the need for ongoing professional RPN care are required from two Health Profession liaisons in the community involved in the client’s ongoing care; most typically this will be a physician and nurse.
Family: A social unit which includes friends and/or relatives who have an on-going, close, structured relationship and who are related by: bloodline, adoption or close association.
Adapted from SRNA material.
Approved by Council